Sun activity

Iwanttobelieve76
Administrator
We expect to see activity from our star but it continues to frustrate us THROUGH solar maximum.
The weakness continues and nobody knows when it will stop.
But the fact is that in the southern hemisphere, there are two zones which are smeared.
So far it seems the potential zones down there can not support.
However, the the gathered cold gas in the southern hemisphere and other areas and the instability are too many.

Re: Sun activity

NiNzrez
Administrator
looks like it heard you and woke up ^^

Re: Sun activity

Iwanttobelieve76
Administrator
haha, well yep

Re: Sun activity

Iwanttobelieve76
Administrator
This post was updated on .
and all eyes on the large filament to the southeast...

Check also latest H Alpha Movie...

You can see some ejecta after the flare took place around Region 1675

H Alpha:
http://halpha.nso.edu/movie_B.html

I will upload a video of this but helioviewer is still processing

Re: Sun activity

Iwanttobelieve76
Administrator
So lets speak about the magnetic thread again to the southern part of the sun.

We can see  the cold gas is dense but little in quantity.
Watch the gif or the video and observe the right side (west).

At some point you will see the cold gases are absorbed by the solar surface by magnetic loops.

Yes, it has created a underpowered flare type...a  "HYDER-flare"

The flares are created at the ends of a thread when the solar surface absorb the cold and the gas constant.

Such flares can occur in areas that are not typical active zones.

Here you have the video link from Helioviewer:
http://delphi.nascom.nasa.gov/?movieId=0hX95

Re: Sun activity

Iwanttobelieve76
Administrator
How big are solar prominences?

Well, take these prominences, captured on an active sun back in 2006… you can only see a little bit of the disk but using photoshop you can select a circle and enlarge it big enough so its outside edge matches up with the section we can see. Measure the size of that circle in pixels and then divide the number by 109 (the number of earth disks that fit across the diameter of the sun). Make a circle that size and you have drawn the earth to scale - a yardstick 8000 miles across.

Check out Alan Friedman site for more stunnig pics about our sun:
http://www.avertedimagination.com/sun_1.htm

Re: Sun activity

Iwanttobelieve76
Administrator
Planet Aurora

A ‘polar panoramic effect’ view of the aurora in Finland on Feb. 9, 2013. Credit and copyright: Martin Stojanovski.

Enlarge:
http://ut-images.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/The-aurora-ball-final2.jpg

I love these ‘Polar Planet Effect‘ images, and this one is awesome. Photographer Martin Stojanovski traveled from Macedonia to Finland during an AuroraTweetup event in early February 2013 to try and capture the aurora. And he really wanted to try doing one of these “planet” pictures.

“This was one of the photos that I really wanted to create on my aurora trip during AuroraTweetup and it came together at last,” Martin said via email. “It is really hard to get the final result as the aurora is so dynamic (it changes every second) and also the night sky is difficult for stitching, but the end result came up great. That night Aurora was amazing, and it got really bright and colorful from time to time, as our guide said that night the best of the season.”

Read more:
http://www.universetoday.com/100315/astrophoto-planet-aurora/#ixzz2M78THShS

Re: Sun activity

Iwanttobelieve76
Administrator
Video of the Earth Eclipse & Lunar Transit today

Re: Sun activity

miabelieves
hey all...just dropping by and bumping thread :)  noticed at GLP Trin is saying ForSale...always lurking in both places

Re: Sun activity

Iwanttobelieve76
Administrator
Everyone is welcome here also the lurkers

Re: Sun activity

shenue
This post was updated on .
Hi all!  Will this particular thread be the one used for the general sun activity/information/exchange of ideas, like the thread on the other forum?  If would be nice to have one  as a kind of general  meeting place for the sun people.
Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.  Sometimes the 'having' is not so sweet as the 'wanting'.

Re: Sun activity

Iwanttobelieve76
Administrator
shenue wrote
Hi all!  Will this particular thread be the one used for the general sun activity/information/exchange of ideas, like the thread on the other forum?  If would be nice to have one  as a kind of general  meeting place for the sun people.
Yep, its all about the sun here

Re: Sun activity

shenue
Oh good! I hope this thread can become like NiNz's thread over at the 'other' place.  :-) I had been looking down the threads here and at the individual threads about this or that sun event.  And it can become a bit disjointed trying to figure out the order of the events and what the info was from each event, how it all fit together...etc., when the information is scattered from thread to thread.  I sure understand that some will want to start individual threads about particular events but it will be more cohesive to have, at least, one thread where the events can be posted and discussed without having to try to look through all the threads and try to put things in order and figure out what's what.
Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.  Sometimes the 'having' is not so sweet as the 'wanting'.

Re: Sun activity

Iwanttobelieve76
Administrator
My Solar Alerts is back on Youtube

We will upload from now major events and updates on YT

Re: Sun activity

Iwanttobelieve76
Administrator
Bad timing for a eclipse :)

Re: Sun activity

Iwanttobelieve76
Administrator
The first convincing images of  middle latitude aurora have just come in from Belarus:

More:
http://www.meteoros.de/php/viewtopic.php?t=10250&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=47

And from over Iceland last night:
http://iceland-dori.blogspot.de/2013/03/aurora-borealis-northern-lights-over.html

Re: Sun activity

NiNzrez
Administrator
shenue wrote
Hi all!  Will this particular thread be the one used for the general sun activity/information/exchange of ideas, like the thread on the other forum?  If would be nice to have one  as a kind of general  meeting place for the sun people.
i will make one on here as well :)

Re: Sun activity

Elemental
Hi all!

Re: Sun activity

shenue
NiNz....I just now saw that you had started the thread on this forum also.  That's great!
Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.  Sometimes the 'having' is not so sweet as the 'wanting'.